Home Phone Standard and Optional Features
This article will teach you how to activate and use the standard and optional features for a Westnet Home Phone service. While some features are optional add-ons that have an additional monthly charge (e.g. Duet Phone), a Home Phone service includes a set of standard features at no additional cost.
A downloadable user guide for each feature is available on our website.
Enabling or disabling features in MyAccount
Please note that Call Return, 3-Way Chat, Call Waiting, Call Forward Immediate/Busy/No Answer and Call Back are standard features that do not need to be enabled or disabled in MyAccount.
- Log in to MyAccount.
- Select My Products from the navigation bar, and then select Phone.
- If you have multiple phone services on your account, you may need to select your Home Phone number from the drop-down menu in the upper right-hand corner.
- Select Change phone options from the left-hand column.
- You’ll see a list of the add-on features available for your Home Phone service divided into sections.
- The first section will be Exclusive Add-ons. These features may only be changed one at a time because they require extra work from our wholesaler to activate.
- The second section will be a list of Your Active Add-ons. You can click Show options next to each feature to see the ON/OFF toggle switch to disable any of these features.
- The final section will be Activate an Add-on. You may activate more than one of these add-ons and then save them all at once. Further details on how to activate and use each add-on are listed below.
- Don’t forget to click the Review changes button at the bottom of the page after making any changes. You can then review and Confirm changes to finish.
Using Standard Features
Call Forward Busy
- If someone else calls you while your phone number is engaged, Call Forward Busy will forward the call to a different phone number.
- To turn on Call Forward Busy for all incoming calls, dial *24 from your handset followed by the phone number you'd like all calls to be forwarded to, then dial # and hang up the phone.
- To turn off Call Forward Busy for all incoming calls, dial #24# from your handset, then hang up the phone.
- To check if Call Forward Busy is on or off, dial *#24# from your handset. An announcement will advise if the feature is on or off. Hang up the phone to finish.
Call Forward Immediate
- Call Forward immediate will immediately forward all incoming calls to a different phone number.
- To turn on Call Forward Immediate for all incoming calls, dial *21 from your handset followed by the phone number you'd like all calls to be forwarded to, then dial # and hang up the phone.
- To turn off Call Forward Immediate for all incoming calls, dial #21# from your handset, then hang up the phone.
- To check if Call Forward Immediate is on or off, dial *#21# from your handset. An announcement will advise if the feature is on or off. Hang up the phone to finish.
Call Forward No Answer
- If a call to your phone number is not answered, Call Forward No Answer will forward the call to a different phone number.
- To turn on Call Forward No Answer for all incoming calls when they are not answered after the default time (20 seconds), dial *61 from your handset followed by the phone number you'd like all calls to be forwarded to, then dial # and hang up the phone.
- To turn on Call Forward No Answer for all incoming calls when they are not answered after the a custom time (between 5-60 seconds), dial *61 from your handset followed by the phone number you'd like all calls to be forwarded to. Next, dial * followed by the time in seconds (between 5-60) then dial # and hang up the phone.
- To turn off Call Forward No Answer for all incoming calls, dial #61# from your handset, then hang up the phone.
- To check if Call Forward No Answer is on or off, dial *#61# from your handset. An announcement will advise if the feature is on or off. Hang up the phone to finish.
Call Forward Selected Caller
- Call Forward Selected Caller will immediately forward all calls from up to 15 phone numbers to a different phone number. Please note that Call Forward Selected Caller will override any other Call Forward add-ons active on your Home Phone.
- Call Forward Selected Caller can be enabled or disabled using the ON/OFF toggle switch. Next, click Review changes and then Confirm changes.
- Once Call Forward Select Caller is active, you can add numbers to your selected caller list by dialling *87 from your Home Phone and then following the voice prompts. You'll be asked to enter your PIN using the keypad.
- Similarly, you can remove a phone number from your selected caller list by dialling #87 from your Home Phone and following the voice prompts (requires PIN).
- Your default PIN should be the last 4 or 6 digits of your Home Phone number. We recommend that your change your PIN after you have set up Call Forward Select for the first time.
- If someone calls your phone number while you’re on a call, Call Waiting will automatically put them on hold. A discrete tone (2 beeps every 5 seconds) wll let you know there is a call waiting.
- Call Waiting is disabled during a 3 way call.
- Call Waiting can be enabled by dialling *43# from your Home Phone.
- Call Waiting can be disabled by dialling #43# from your Home Phone.
- When Call Waiting is enabled, you’ll hear a tone when there is a call waiting. To switch back and forth between the two calls, press the CALL button on your handset and then dial 2.
- To hang up on the person you’re currently speaking to and switch to the other caller, press the CALL button on your handset and then dial 1.
- Call Return (also known as Call Back) is a standard feature that does not need to be enabled or disabled.
- Call Return lets you find out the number of the last unanswered call to your Home Phone. You can also choose to call that number back.
- To retrieve the number of your last unanswered call, dial *10# on your handset.
- To automatically call that number, dial 1. Standard call costs will apply.
- Call Back is a standard feature that does not need to be enabled or disabled. However, it requires a touchtone handset and is not compatible with certain numbers e.g. some business numbers, Operator Assisted Services, international destinations and some other carriers’ networks.
- If you call a number that is engaged, Call Back will monitor that number for up to 45 minutes and automatically call it back when it is no longer engaged.
- A maximum of 5 Call Backs can be arranged at any one time.
- To arrange a Call Back, hit the recall button while you hear the engaged tone and then dial *37#. You'll hear an announcement to confirm your Call Back has been arranged.
- Your phone will ring to let you know when the phone number you tried to call becomes available, and will automatically redial the number for you.
- To cancel a Call Back, dial #37#.
- To check which Call Backs are currently active on your phone, dial *#37#.
3 Way Chat
- 3 Way Chat is a standard feature that does not need to be enabled or disabled.
- 3 Way Chat allows you to talk to 2 callers at the same time (a.k.a conference call).
- To make a 3 way call, call one of the of the participants. When the call is answered, press the CALL button on your handset and dial the number of the other participant.
- Press the CALL button again and then dial 3 to begin the 3 way call. Standard call costs will apply.
Using Optional Features
- Voicemail is only compatible with touchtone phones - it allows you to divert callers you don't answer to a message-taking service. You can personalise your voicemail greeting as well as retrieve your voicemail messages from any phone.
- To activate Voicemail, set the toggle switch to ON and then clicking Review changes. Hit Confirm changes to finish.
- Once Voicemail is active, you'll be run through a voice-prompted setup the first time you call the Voicemail service.
- You can call the Voicemail service from your Home Phone by dialling 101. You'll be asked to enter your Voicemail PIN using the keypad.
You can also call your Voicemail service from a different phone service (requires your Voice mail PIN):
- If calling from Telstra landlines or mobiles, dial 125012.
- If calling from any other phone service, dial 1800 135 102.
- Your default PIN should be the last 4 or 6 digits of your Home Phone number. Once you have set up your Voicemail service, we strongly recommend that you change your Voicemail PIN.
- You can learn how to further use and customise your Voicemail service as well as some handy shortcuts in this guide.
- Silent Number removes your phone number, name and address details from the next edition of the White Pages directory and Directory Assisted Services.
Important: Your details will only be removed from the next edition of the printed or CD version of the White Pages. Your request must be submitted before the deadline for your state or territory.
Removing your details from the online version of the White Pages and Directory Assisted Services may take up to 2 weeks.
- You can enable or disable Silent Number with the ON/OFF toggle switch and then click Review changes. Hit Confirm changes to finish.
Calling Number Display
- Calling Number Display allows you to identify a caller by displaying the caller's phone number on your handset's screen (requires a compatible handset). Please note that Calling Number Display will not work for blocked numbers.
- You can enable or disable Calling Number display with the ON/OFF toggle switch and then click Review changes. Hit Confirm changes to finish.
Call Blocking can't be configured in Toolbox. If you'd like this setting changed for your Home Phone ($3.52 per change), please call us on 1300 786 068.
Call Blocking blocks specific types of calls from being made using your phone service. The following blocking types are available:
- Emergency only (000)
- Only 1800 numbers
- Local calls only (included 13xx numbers)
- Local and operator-assisted calls only (includes 13xx numbers)
- All calls except international (includes premium and standard)
- Local, Standard, Internation and Premium (no operator-assisted calls)
- Local, Standard and Premium (no International or operator-assisted calls)
- All calls except Premium and International (includes standard)
- All calls except Premium (includes International and standard)