Westnet VDSL2 FAQ
How do I know if I'm eligible for ULTRA VDSL2?
You can check your service eligibility by entering your address on our website.
ULTRA Broadband VDSL2 is only available within the ACT.
What happens after I submit my application?
- A service qualification test will be performed on your phone line.
- As activation will require a technician to visit your premises, if your line is compatible, a technician will contact you to arrange a preferred installation date within 2 weeks of your order.
- Once that appointment has been booked, we’ll pre-provision your VDSL2 service so that it’s active and ready to use as soon as the technician has performed any necessary work at your premises.
- On the date of installation, the technician will install the VDSL2 modem that was delivered to you, and will complete the installation at your premises. Someone ages 18 or older must be present.
- If you selected a new number for your Netphone VoIP service, it will be set up on your installtion day. If you chose to port an existing phone number to Netphone VoIP, activation may not be complete before your installation day. If this is the case, please follow the setup advice in your Netphone activation email and/or the setup guide for your Westnet VDSL2 modem.
How will my hardware be delivered?
Your ULTRA VDSL2 modem and any other hardware in your order will be dispatched by courier to your nominated delivery address. If a technician visit is required for your connection, they will set up the delivered VDSL2 modem for you.
What appointments are available for a technician visit?
Technician appointments are available within the following 4-hour blocks on business days:
- Morning (8AM - 12PM)
- Afternoon (1PM - 5PM)
Someone over the age of 18 must be present during your appointment to allow the technician to gain access to your premises.
What’s going to happen on the day of the ULTRA VDSL2 installation?
Firstly, you’ll receive an SMS from the technician on the day of their visit.
When the technician arrives at your property, ensure you check their ID before letting them inside to ensure they are a tech2home contracted VDSL2 technician.
If your premises has previously been connected to a VDSL2 network, standard installation will normally take between approximately 30 minutes to an hour. If your premises has never been connected to VDSL2 before, then an overhead aerial cable to your house (from power pole into your roof) will be required. This is included in your standard setup, and installation may take up to 2 hours to complete.
Once the physical installation is complete, our technician will then test to ensure your connection is working before they leave. If your Netphone (VoIP) service activation has been completed by the date of your installation, they’ll be able to test this too.
Some other items to be mindful of;
- As a general rule our technicians do not move household furniture therefore this will be the responsibility of the householder. Please assist our technicians where this may be required.
- Some drilling may be required (e.g. to mount equipment), so be prepared for a small amount of drilling noise and dust, which our technician will clean up afterwards.
- If you ask the technician to perform additional work at the time of your installation then an additional appointment to complete this work may be required, and additional fees may be applied separately.
Are there any services that won’t work when I have ULTRA VDSL2?
Yes. Any service that relies on a standard landline phone service with a dial tone will no longer work when you have ULTRA VDSL2. This includes:
- Priority Assistance phone services
- Fax machines
- EFTPOS or vending machines
- Back-to-base VPN
- Monitored security alarms
- Dial-up security cameras
Digital Pay TV may also be affected if you switch to VDSL2 – please consult your Pay TV provider to find out if VDSL2 will support your TV services.
Please note: Westnet does not offer a Priority Assistance service. If you are a Priority Assistance customer please consider this prior to lodging your application.
Can I change my ULTRA VDSL2 plan?
Yes, you can change your plan in MyAccount.
Will my current modem/router work with ULTRA VDSL2?
You must use the VDSL2 modem supplied by us in order for your ULTRA VDSL2 broadband and Netphone (VoIP) service to work as expected.
What factors can affect VDSL2 speeds?
Speed is dependent on multiple different factors, such as:
- Cable length between your premises and our equipment at the node
- Any modems/routers, switches or hubs connected to your VDSL2 installation
- Your PC/laptop/mobile devices and their ability to handle the supplied speed.
- If you’re using WiFi to connect devices to VDSL2.
What is Netphone?
Netphone is a VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) phone service that works over your internet connection. Instead of plugging a phone handset into the wall, you’ll plug it into our VoIP-enabled VDSL2 modem to enjoy some serious savings on your call rates!
For more information about Netphone including how it works, service features and phone numbers, please see our Netphone (VoIP) FAQ.