Troubleshooting 5G Home Broadband for Speed Issues
- Turn off your modem for at least 10 seconds.
- Turn your modem back on and wait approximately 3 minutes for the modem lights to settle.
- If your modem lights indicate a low signal, move your modem to another location. These tips will help you choose a good spot for your modem:
- A clear, elevated space near a window is ideal.
- Avoid direct sunlight as this can cause your modem to overheat.
- Placing the modem on the floor or in a cupboard may cause a weak signal.
- You don’t have to use the same spot as your old modem for NBN or other broadband services.
- You can try different spots if your first spot isn’t giving you a strong signal.
Note: If your Signal or 5G lights remain off after rebooting, please call us on 1300 7896 068 for assistance.
Sagemcom 5866 5G Modem - Signal lights 1 bar Nokia FastMile 5G Modem - 5G light red or orange
Note: The Signal Direction light will indicate the direction of the strongest 5G signal.
- If you're testing your speed on a WiFi device, stand next to your modem and run a speed test to rule out any WiFi signal issues.
Please note: Your modem will automatically connect your devices to the best available WiFi network (i.e. 5GHz). Older devices may only be able to connect to the slower 2.4GHz WiFi.
- If your speed has improved, or slow speeds occur on WiFi devices but not devices connected via Ethernet cable, then see our guide on improving WiFi signals.
- Unplug all other devices connected to your modem's Ethernet ports (except the device you are testing, if applicable).
- Turn off or disconnect all other devices connected to your modem's WiFi (except the device you are testing, if applicable).
- On the device you are testing, close all programs that are using your broadband connection, then run a speed test.
- If your speed has improved on a single device, you may need to reduce the number of devices and/or programs running simultaneously on your home network.
Please note: If you need more bandwidth to support more programs and/or devices, you may need to switch to an alternative broadband product. Please call us on 13 19 60 to discuss.
- Perform a scan on your antivirus/anti-malware software. If any infections are detected, make sure they are quarantined and removed. Please contact your software’s Customer Support if you need assistance.
- Firewalls may affect broadband performance. Temporarily disable any firewalls and run a speed test.
- If you still experience speed issues, please call us on 1300 786 068 for further assistance.